Ortofon 2M Range
Availible by Special Order
The 2M Series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish Industrial designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
The name 2M was selected from among several ideas. We wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and remember, and therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
Each of the 2M Series cartridges has its own individual sonic expression, and all five models together represent the ensemble of five classic variations:
- 2M Mono ($499) and 2M 78 ($179) are a true mono cartridges for playing mono vinyl records
- 2M Red is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth - $169
- 2M Blue adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details - $329
- 2M Bronze adds even more details and resolution but in a very evenhanded way that pays respect to all elements - $599
- 2M Black is the best of everything, true to the groove with resolution and accurate insight into each recording - $999
The 2M series of cartridges features Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention that enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and Super OM series.
We have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, and the weight and size to fit the most common turntables on the market today. The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.